Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Personal Example - Inspiration or Desperation?

With this post I want to hit the reason for your change again. Changing requires, well, change. Why do we change. Let me give you a real, live example of how I began to change in life.

In the 5th Grade I did a book report called, 'The Story of the US Marines'. From that time forward all I wanted to be in life was a Marine. In February of my senior year of high school I was sworn in as a United States Marine. They called it the early entry program. Two weeks after high school graduation I found myself in Parris Island, SC and was not happy about my decision.

While I detail this in my book, 'Dead Center - A Marine Snipers Two Year Odyssey in the Vietnam War', I'll share the short version here. I was raised in a small town by essentially four women. My older sister, my Aunt, my Grandmother and my Mother. They did not adequately prepare me for boot camp.

Within two weeks I'd disobeyed an order and wound up in a place at the end of the island called the Special Training Branch or STB. I was a member of the Corrective Custody Platoon, or more affectionately, a Shitbird. The Drill Instructor in charge was maniacal. There were no Officers around so he did what he pleased and it wasn't pleasing to us.

One day I decided to leave, go AWOL. I'd had it. I was apprehended at the main gate by a couple of military police, handcuffed and sure I was heading to the brig. I hadn't eaten in just over three days and drank swamp water the whole time. I had a scorpion bite and was sick. I was also sure I had ruined my young life because of my decisions. I was desperate.

I was taken to the brig, then surprisingly, after the MP's made some phone calls, I was put back in the truck and driven back to STB, at the end of the island. They were taking me back to my maniacal Drill Instructor. I was sure he would kill me on the spot.

He did take me before the others at STB and humiliate me, said I was a bright and shining example of what you look like when you try and get off 'his' island. He also had me confirm for everyone that Parris Island is indeed an 'island'. Which it is, I can confirm first hand. I had yet to learn to swim so thats how I ended up trying to do an end run around the main gate.

Them something strange happened. My crazy Drill Instructor took me into his office and threw me on the floor. As I sat in the corner facing him he said, "What the f___ is wrong with you kid?" Before I could answer he said, "You haven't eaten in three days. You lived off swamp water. Hell, I'm a Force Recon Marine and I don't do that!" He then became human.

He went on to tell me that I could do anything and he would show me how. If I would walk out that door and commit to following every single order he gave me he would stand up for me and I wouldn't go to the brig. In my despair I was inspired to change. Now I was also scared out of my mind by this guy, but he was the first guy who I felt cared about me in my life. It ignited a flame that burns to this day. I could do it. And I did. I went on to become a great Marine and lead scout-sniper teams for two years in the Vietnam War. I used everything I learned from my maniacal DI throughout my life.

I changed because of desperation. I saw my young life slipping down a dirty drain. Then events like the one I described changed me and ignited a fire in my that drives me to this day. As we look at America, at our relationship with God and for those who believe, Jesus Christ, what is our reason for change?

Throughout the coming week you think about what got us here and how you need to change. This step is critical ... none of us are perfect. We all need to repent daily. Then we need to recommit and go forth stronger than ever. What is your reason for change?

For a better tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment